From Virtual Japan
Azumanga Daioh (Azumanga Daiō) is a manga that was created by Kiyohiko Azuma. Manga is the term commonly given to Japanese comic books or graphic novels. Azumanga Daioh was first released in 1999. It was turned into an anime in 2002 but did not fare as good as an []anime as it did as a manga. Azumanga Daioh was first released as a panel of comic strips that are known as yonkoma. This style of comic is similar to the comic strips that are in the daily and weekly US newspapers, however yonkoma are vertical instead of horizontal.
Azumanga Daioh is about six Japanese high school girls. Sakaki has an obsession with cute animals, Osaka has a strange perspective on the world, and Chiyo is struggling to fit in with girls who are older than she is, Yomi is working on her patience, Kagura is working on her schooling and sports, and Tome has a complete lack of common sense. The series follows the girls for three years, during which time they have to handle all sorts of tests and athletic events at their school. Most of the manga is based on real life, but there is an occasional foray into the unreal world, such as when the characters have dreams.
- Tomo Takino – Tomo is very competitive, even though she is known as a slacker. She is also very impulsive and often does not think before she leaps.
- Chiyo Mihama – Chiyo is a child prodigy, which has her trying to fit in with girls who are older than she is. She actually skipped five grades, making her much younger. She always wears ponytails and is often regarded with jealousy due to her intellect and her wealthy family.
- Ayumu Kasuga – Ayumu is often called Osaka, because that is where she transferred from. She is often found daydreaming, but is extremely good at answering riddles.
- Sakaki – Sakaki is the tallest of the bunch, and wishes that she were not. She is also much more developed and tries to hide that fact. She is a very sensitive person who loves cute things, such as cats.
- Koyomi Mizuhara – Yomi is often seen as the most mature member of the group. She is not happy with her weight, though, and is often seen dieting, or trying to diet.
- Kagura – Kagura is a great athlete. She is obsessed with Sakaki, because Sakaki has a lot of natural athletic ability, but no real drive to do anything with it. Because of this natural ability, Kagura sees her as an opponent.
- Yukari Tanizaki – Ms. Yukari is the homeroom and English teacher for the girls. She has very strange teaching methods as compared to the other teachers and is very close to her students.
- Minamo Kurosawa – Ms. Kurosawa is the gym teacher who is very popular with students. She has a minor rivalry going on with Yukari, whom she grew up with. She often calls Yukari Name just to annoy her. She is much more even tempered than Yukari most of the time, but has lost her temper before.